By Elizabeth Demarest
In her new booklet, Betty Demarest describes a daring time table for schooling reform—one that's firmly grounded in a synthesis of academic study approximately studying, instructing, and the contexts of schooling. The author’s “learning-centered” framework comprises: (1) a extensive and balanced set of schooling pursuits, (2) a multi-faceted thought of accomplishment, (3) lecture room ability for studying, (4) systemic potential and infrastructure, (5) shared, reciprocal responsibility, and (6) structures of a number of tests. New research-based innovations in those six components are seriously in comparison to older innovations in the back of standards-based reform and No baby Left Behind.
- A finished, substitute framework for destiny schooling reform that specializes in bettering the middle academic practices of studying, instructing, content material, and leadership.
- A federal position that emphasizes significant partnerships instead of top-down control.
- A critique of prior criteria and current accountability-based frameworks, with implications of the learning-centered framework for destiny nationwide coverage, particularly ESEA
- An operational definition of academic skill, a re-conceptualization of responsibility, and a pointy reversal of the relative emphasis put on those strategies.
Elizabeth J. Demarestis an schooling advisor dwelling in Alexandria, Virginia. She was once previously with the U.S. division of schooling and the nationwide schooling Association.
“Betty Demarest in actual fact defines a learning-centered framework for making improvements to coverage and perform. Practitioners can enjoy the techniques outlining a transparent pathway for remodeling to learning-centered perform in our nation’s classrooms.” —Gerald N. Tirozzi, govt director, nationwide organization of Secondary university Principals
“Betty Demarest’s deep event with study and coverage improvement permits her to re-envision reform at many degrees, all according to study proof for legitimate recommendations and practices of educating and studying. This ebook is a welcome reward to policymakers and practitioners.”
—Roland Tharp, examine professor, collage of California, Berkeley
“Demarest offers a research-based starting place for educated dialogue and debate as Congress renews federal schooling legislation. Her synthesis of key matters may still supply a kick off point for any severe dialogue of ways ahead in federal schooling policy.”
—Mary Haywood Metz, professor emerita, college of Wisconsin–Madison
Read Online or Download A Learning-Centered Framework for Education Reform: What Does It Mean for National Policy? PDF
Similar education policy books
Feminism and ‘The education Scandal’ brings jointly feminist contributions from generations of academic researchers, comparing and celebrating the sphere of gender and schooling. the focal point all through is at the years of obligatory education, analyzing key ideas in gender and schooling pointed out and built via overseas thinkers in academic feminism.
Considerably up to date and multiplied, this imperative source deals scholars and students alike genuine recommendation in navigating the ever-changing educational panorama. supplying useful tips on graduate tuition, dissertation-writing, task interviews, promotions, retirement, courses, meetings, and much more, this can be the fundamental source.
American larger schooling faces a few severe problems—but they don't seem to be those most folks imagine. during this short and obtainable booklet, prime specialists convey that many so-called crises—from the concept that usual scholars are drowning in debt to the idea that college raises are being pushed by way of administrative bloat—are exaggerated or just fake.
First released in 1999, American larger schooling within the Twenty-First Century provided a finished creation to the relevant matters dealing with American schools and universities. This completely revised version brings the vintage quantity modern. The members have rewritten each bankruptcy to deal with significant adjustments in better schooling, together with the increase of equipped social routine, the matter of source of revenue inequality and stratification, and the expansion of for-profit and distance schooling.
- Making Policy In British Higher Education 1945-2011
- Transforming Schools (Contemporary Research in Education)
- Education and Inequality in India: A Classroom View (Routledge Contemporary South Asia Series)
- Resolving Disputes about Educational Provision: A Comparative Perspective on Special Educational Needs
- The 12 Laws of Urban School Leadership: A Principal's Guide for Initiating Effective Change
- Creating a Culture for High-Performing Schools: A Comprehensive Approach to School Reform and Dropout Prevention
Additional info for A Learning-Centered Framework for Education Reform: What Does It Mean for National Policy?
A Learning-Centered Framework for Education Reform: What Does It Mean for National Policy? by Elizabeth Demarest